Thursday 19 January 2012

Mince and tatties

Well this was a favourite lunch of mine, mince and tatties.  Of course, tatties are actually potatoes.  My mum used to buy best quality steak mince and brown it off in a pot with onion (she never told anyone that our food had onions in it because we didn't like them), added some diced carrots and water.  I don't know how long this was on the stove for (obviously long enough for the carrots to soften up).  Before serving she mixed up some bisto with water and added it to the mince.

This was actually a brown powder (probably corn flour) which thickened up stews.  I went off it when they turned it into Gravy Granules. She boiled up some tatties which we often had to peel, and served them mashed with our mince.  I used to squirt some brown sauce over mine, but my brother and sister preferred tomato sauce.  My dad liked his with Wostershire sauce!!! Personally, I don't understand why people say that British food is unhealthy because here you have a dish with some fat, vegetables, protein and carbohydrates.  This was usually followed by jelly or custard and fruit or an Angel Delight (a custard pudding you made with milk which had fruit flavouring).


No comments:

Post a Comment