Monday 23 January 2012

Apple crumble

Well this is one of my son's favourites and here are the ingredients and how to make it.  In fact, a lot of dishes in Scotland are really easy to make:-
Ingredients
6 fine cooking apples
250g white sugar
200 g plain white flour
150 g butter
(1 clove or cinnamon stick)
How to make apple crumble
Peel and core the apples.  Dice them into small chunks.  Cook the apples with 3/4 of the sugar (and the cinammon stick).  I add some water.  Stew the apples for about half an hour (or until tender) and then mash.  Leave aside to cool.  Make the crumble by mixing the flour, remaining sugar and butter gently with your fingers until it takes on a breadcrumb consistency.  Pre-heat the oven to 150º.  Put the apples in an oven dish and cover with the crumble mix.  Cook in the oven for 30 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and crunchy and bubbling.  Serve with cream or ice cream.  And here we have the perfect pudding for a cold winter's day after a bowl of nourishing red lentil soup.

We usually had this with tinned cream which you had to shake quite hard to mix it and then you opened the tin at either end and poured it on.  Those were in the days before you could buy single and double cream in Marks and Spencer's.

You can also make crumbles with other types of fruit.  And since my dad grew rhubarb we ate a lot of rhubarb crumbles in the summer


2 comments:

  1. Love it. The house I'm moving in has an oven, so I' m cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, too. I hope my wife will agree to prepare it! Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)


    -------------
    Short Break Scotland

    ReplyDelete