Saturday 21 April 2012

Eggs mashed-up in a cup

Was thinking about when I was small in Dundee and  my favourite teas - especially when I was unwell.  My mum would hard boil some eggs in a pan and then shell them and pop one of them into a cup or a mug and mash it up with a dod of butter and some salt and pepper.  Just like the one in the picture

This was usually served with  either toasted soldiers


or melba toast which is really easy to make.  You toast some bread under the grill on both sides and then cut off the crusts and slice down the middle like the picture below



 and toast the untoasted side under the grill and "et voilá"

My mum used to put this on a plate for me on top of a paper serviette.  I didn't like my toast dry so I usually spread some butter on top in between eating teaspoonful's of eggs mashed-up in a cup and soon started to feel better again.

11 comments:

  1. My mum is from Dundee too and I remember her giving us egg in a cup. Even now I give it to my son who is 4. I was down in England last October and was asked whether egg in a cup was really something the scottish did - when I said yes they looked at me as though I was strange!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen this, I'm from Liverpool and I used to have the egg/butter mix in a cup some 60 years ago

      Delete
  2. I'm from fife and yet again this is what I was given usually when off school for not feeling well. Classic also give to my 3 year old who loves it. Mon the scots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given this as a child by my dad, who's from Cheshire. So it certainly made it that far south, at least :)
    A real teatime favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved eggs chopped in a cup as a child, and I still enjoy it from time to time as an adult. So simple, but so tasty and so comforting. I'm in Scotland too - Lanarkshire when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad (from Rutherglen) used to make this for us all the time for my sisters & I. Was a staple in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in Luton and my mums friend would always make this for me, Her husband was Scottish so it made it down south, people look at me mad when I say about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum was from Belfast and "egg bate up in a cup" was the ultimate get well food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Canada and my family eats egg in a cup as well. My grandmother is originally from a small village called the Forth in Scotland. It's the ultimate comfort food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. get collapsible cup in Singapore

    ReplyDelete