Thursday 19 January 2012

Fish patties

Fish patties aka fish cakes were another teatime treat which my dad made.  You could also buy them in the fish shop but they were much better home made.  You need boiled, mashed potatoes (mashed with butter and milk, of course), boiled flaked fish, salt and pepper and fresh parsley (if you want).  You mix all of this together and bind it with a beaten egg in a bowl and form the mixture into patties with your hands.  Next you dip your patties in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry gently on the stove.  My favourite ones were salmon patties.

Instead of fresh cod or haddock you can add tinned salmon (after draining it) or even tuna fish which became very popular in Scotland in the 70's.    You can serve your patties with a salad and it's all very nutritious.  I used to have mine with brown sauce..

which fortunately you can now buy in Spain.  Tomorrow, I'll tell you other tasty dishes I used to spice up with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment