Monday 7 May 2012

Scottish smoked salmon

On my recent trip back to Scotland I tried smoked salmon on several occasions and it  was absolutely delicious.  The first time was in Pitlochry where I had a smoked salmon platter

Actually, this photo is quite misleading 'cos it was on what looked like a wooden chopping board, with some salad leaves, lemon and, distressingly, only one slice of thickly cut bread with a portion of butter.  Luckily, the waitress brought some more bread and butter because there was too much salmon for the amount of bread I was given.  Or perhaps people in Scotland don't eat too much bread with their salmon?

I also tried a smoked salmon ciabbatta with sour cream and a side salad in Auchtermuchtie which was lovely too, but again there wasn't too much bread.  Certainly, nowhere near the loaf in the photo

and which should have looked something like this but didn't...because what I got was some sort of smoked salmon which had been grilled with warm sour cream on top.  I had to have a cake afterwards to fill myself up..

Also tried a wild garlic risotto with salmon too but that's for another time..

No comments:

Post a Comment